Update: Month of Minimalism
A week into the month of minimalism, I’ve noticed a couple things.
First, it’s interesting what the normal default cadence of new stuff is. For me it’s outdoor gear (options delivered to my inbox every day, purchase in three clicks, also in free swag from work), art (habits and tracking a handful of favorite artists), and other stuff (office selling of some chairs I love, with beautiful clean form). It seems to take effort not to acquire stuff, versus the opposite.
Second, I’ve noticed this feeling I get when I’m near something I like, like driving past REI or something. It’s a little excitement, combined with a twinge of anxiousness.
- Use unroll.me to unsubscribe to a ton of emails. Done, seems to be missing a few things.
- User PaperKarma to reduce daily junk mail. Ongoing.
- Get to inbox zero and stay there. Done.
- Remove Facebook connections I haven’t been in touch with in a year. Today.
- Fire up Level, and/or update my Mint.com account. Level isn’t ready for game time, so dialed in Mint account.
- Log everything I buy that is not immediately consumable. So far: a $4 plunger to unblock the sink, and a new print. Also acquired a new jacket from work.
- Camp before christmas for up to a week. Time blocked, looking for a spot.
- Ask specifically for nothing for Christmas. Done.
- Buy 2 more Icebreaker shirts. Done. Will last forever.